With low voter turnout, BSG Election results released

Although sophomore and junior class elections typically occur in the spring, Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) made the decision to hold elections for all four classes this fall. With results finalized as of Sunday, all four classes will be under new leadership this year.

“Last year the previous executive team decided to postpone all class council elections because of COVID. They worried the student body was exhausted and needed the summer to recuperate and properly weigh the decision to campaign,” wrote BSG Vice President Andrew Kaleigh ’24 in an email to the Orient.

Voting in all four elections began at 10 a.m. last Friday and ended at 8 p.m. on Sunday. When more than two candidates ran for a position, the election used ranked-choice voting.

Only one candidate ran in the senior class council election—Carlos Campos received 50.42 percent of the vote for president, while 32.26 percent voted “no” and 17.2 percent did not answer.

Similarly, only one candidate ran in the junior class council election—Matthew Perez received 57 percent of the vote for president, while 25 percent voted “no” and 18 percent did not answer.

There were no other candidates for the senior or junior class councils. The other positions will be appointed by either the president of the class council or a member of the executive board.

Only two candidates ran in the sophomore class council election, one each for president and treasurer. Sophia Pantzer won the election for president of the sophomore class council with 67.44 percent of the vote while 15.12 percent voted no and 17.22 percent did not answer. Mason Phoenix won the election for treasurer with 72.09 percent of the vote, while 9.3 percent voted no and 18.6 percent did not vote.

The first-year election had six candidates who ran for president, four for vice president, two for treasurer and one for programming chair. Since the president and vice president positions had more than two people running, they used rank choice voting.

Results:

Senior Class:
President:
Carlos Campos: 47, No Vote: 30, Not Answered: 16

Junior Class:
President:
Matthew Perez: 72, No Vote: 25, Not Answered: 18

Sophomore Class:
President:
Sophia Pantzer: 67, No Vote: 13, Not Answered: 15

Treasurer:
Mason Phoenix: 71, No Vote: 8, Not Answered: 16