Talk of the Quad

Number of articles: 10

First Article: October 27, 2017

Latest Article: February 23, 2018

Talk of the Quad

A shiver down the spine

Sara Caplan Eight months ago I checked into Cedars Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, changed into a hospital gown and mustard-colored socks and plummeted into the depths of general anesthesia to the sound of Paul Simon’s first solo album.

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Cute guys, coffee and cardiomyopathy

Phoebe Nichols I was walking around Boston, having a joyous time. It was nice to be in a new city where I could forget my problems for a day. I wouldn’t say I was in epic emotional turmoil, but a month earlier I was officially diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy, put on some pretty hefty medication, told that my Nordic ski career was toast and that I would potentially never be able to exercise again.

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Leaving an (awkward) mark

Sara Caplan Relationships between the administration and student body are an integral part of a high functioning college or university. Humanizing our institutional superiors provides us a sense of companionship and support rather than discomfort and condescension as we persist in our academic, extracurricular and social endeavors.

Read more

Talk of the Quad

Social media, me and #metoo

Phoebe Nichols Recently, many of my friends and peers have posted the hashtag “MeToo” on their Facebook pages. This hashtag makes a pretty compelling statement: sexual harassment and assault are still a long, long way from being preventable on Bowdoin’s campus or any place in general.

Read more

Talk of the Quad

The alum who stole Hitler’s books

Kayla Snyder In May of 1945, Joseph H. Johnson Jr. ’44 found himself shimmying down a rope into Adolf Hitler’s library. Once ornate with handmade bookshelves of wood and glass, the library had been moved from the second floor to underground, thereby protected by the body of the mountain when British troops bombed Hitler’s Berghof home five days before his death.

Read more