Bowdoin reacts to COVID-19 pandemic

On March 11, the College announced all classes would move online, and all students must move out by March 18 to limit the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Find the Orient’s coverage of the College’s evolving response to the virus here.

Rose postpones Commencement and Reunion Weekend

Commencement activities and Reunion Weekend will not happen in May this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Bowdoin is the first NESCAC school to announce it will push the on-campus celebration.

NCAA cancels all championships, prematurely ending women’s basketball season

On Thursday, the NCAA announced that it would cancel all remaining championship events for the winter and spring athletic seasons due to the threat of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). This decision will immediately impact the Bowdoin women’s basketball team, whose playoff run was cut short and whose season ended with the decision.

Jaret Skonieczny
Movin' out Two Bowdoin students carry boxes back to their dorms, preparing to move out by the March 18 deadline.

Students respond to College COVID-19 plan with frustrations around lack of communication

Just hours after the College announced students would be expected to vacate and empty their rooms by March 18, students began to organize support for more vulnerable members of the community, who face challenges, students claim, that the College hasn’t sufficiently considered in its policies. Since the initial announcement, Bowdoin has changed its policy to allow international students to stay on campus, but other students don’t think the College has done enough to address their concerns.

Classes to move online for duration of semester, students told to stay home

Spring semester classes will be completed via “remote learning” and students will not be allowed to return to campus at the conclusion of spring break due to the “unprecedented health crisis” posed by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), President Clayton Rose announced in an email to the Bowdoin community.

Women’s basketball NCAA sectional games to be held without spectators due to coronavirus

Due to the developing threat of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the College announced its decision to hold the three women’s basketball NCAA sectional games that will be hosted at Bowdoin this weekend without allowing any spectators into the arena.

College warns immunocompromised students of coronavirus dangers

The College sent to a message students with health conditions affecting their immune system informing them that there is a higher risk than the general college population in returning campus due to the nationwide outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

College to sanitize buildings after return of student from Italy

In an “abundance of caution” the College said it will be sanitizing multiple areas of campus visited during a 24-hour period by a student who returned to Bowdoin after studying abroad in Italy, which has a travel Warning Level 3 from the Center for Disease Control.

Despite College’s assurances, students return to campus from Italy

Despite assurances from the College that students studying in Italy would not immediately return to campus due to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) precautions, several students who were studying in Italy returned to campus earlier this week.

College cancels spring break trips due to coronavirus

Bowdoin cancelled College-sponsored travel to four countries, five states and the District of Columbia this week as the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues.

Bowdoin students abroad face challenges in wake of coronavirus outbreak

Though the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) hasn’t reached Bowdoin’s campus, the virus has affected the lives of several Bowdoin students studying abroad.

Coronavirus thwarts student spring break travel plans

Spring break, which for students begins March 6 and lasts until March 23, is a popular time to travel home, especially for international students who often do not return home for the shorter fall and Thanksgiving breaks. This year, however, plans made weeks ago had to be cancelled or quickly changed in response to travel restrictions imposed by the U.S. government—and it is likely that more restrictions will be put in place in the weeks to come.

Health Center stays vigilant about coronavirus, though risk remains low

With the number of cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) surpassing 63,000 globally, the Bowdoin Health Center is carefully monitoring the virus and is in communication with the Maine Center for Disease Control (CDC) as well as the health centers of other schools in the area. However, concern about the respiratory virus harming Bowdoin students is low.

Courtesy of Benjy Renton
CHANGE OF PLANS Passengers wearing face masks in Beijing South Railway Station wait for their trains.

CET and Middlebury Schools in China suspend study abroad programs

As the number of reported cases of coronavirus continues to rise around the globe, CET Academic Programs (CET), the study abroad program that Bowdoin partners with to send students to East Asia, has suspended its programs in mainland China for the remainder of the spring 2020 term.