Highlight Reel for September 20

OFFENSE IS THE BEST DEFENSE

The field hockey team cruised to a dominant victory at the University of Southern Maine on Tuesday. The entire Bowdoin defense put up a career day, not allowing a single shot over all four quarters. Emma Stevens ’20 tallied her fifth goal in five games, bringing her to an early tie for the lead atop the NESCAC scoring charts. The Polar Bears will host Wesleyan on Saturday, looking to build on their 4-1 overall record.

DOWN, BUT NOT OUT

The men’s golf team recovered from a disappointing Saturday performance to storm back and eke out a two-stroke team victory over Husson University. After falling to a 13-point deficit against the Eagles after the first round of play, the Polar Bears returned to the course with renewed vigor on Sunday and clawed themselves back to victory. Matt McCarthy ’21 won the individual title by one stroke, shooting a 76.

SLIPPING THROUGH THEIR FINGERS

The men’s soccer team earned their first NESCAC points in Lewiston with a 1-1 draw against Bates. In a tightly contested game, the Polar Bears went up 1-0 with an early goal from Julian Juantorena ’23. Bowdoin maintained the advantage until the last minute of play, when a Bates equalizer denied them all three points. The Polar Bears will be seeking their first NESCAC victory at home against Wesleyan this Saturday.

TRAMPS LIKE US…

The women’s and men’s cross country teams open their respective seasons at the Bowdoin Invitational this Saturday. Expectations are high for both teams after impressive performances at NCAA Regionals last November; the women’s team finished ninth while the men’s team took seventh in the New England pool. All eyes will be on both teams as they seek to start out strong on their home course.