Highlight Reel for September 13

BEARS, BEATS, BOBCAT-TLESTAR GALACTICA

The field hockey team held on to a 1-0 victory over Bates this past Wednesday, improving to 2-0 in NESCAC play. On a stormy afternoon, the Polar Bears dealt with poor conditions and sloshed through a rain-soaked turf field all game. In the end, a goal by Emma Stevens ’20 just three minutes into the contest proved the difference. The Polar Bears host Middlebury, who defeated them 4-2 last year, this Saturday in a key early-season battle at the top of the NESCAC.

GRIP IT AND RIP IT

The women’s golf team finished in first place last weekend at the Bowdoin Invitational, hosted at the Brunswick Golf Club. First years Abbie Kaestle and Crystal Chong put up scores of +6 (78) and +9 (81) respectively on Saturday to lead the team to victory. The Polar Bears took all three top spots and finished 28 strokes ahead of the next-closest team. Watch out for this weekend’s Maine State Championship tournament, hosted at the Martindale Country Club in Auburn, ME.

CHECKMATE, STALEMATE

The women’s soccer team battled through 90 minutes and two overtimes to earn a scoreless draw with visiting Colby on Tuesday. The Polar Bears dominated the shots tally 17-8, including five shots in the final 10 minutes of overtime, but were unable to find the net. Bowdoin will host Middlebury on Saturday, looking to avenge their 1-0 loss to the Panthers in last year’s NESCAC quarterfinal.

PEDALLING FOR THE PENTAGON

Bowdoin Security Officer First Class Allen Daniels completed a 184-mile bike ride on Wednesday to honor the 184 victims of the Pentagon attacks of September 11, 2001. Daniels departed from Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park at midnight, heading south along Route 1 and arriving at the Polar Bear statue, just before 2 p.m.. In his preparation for the ride, Daniels raised close to $2,000 for a program that introduces veterans to activities designed to help them recover from PTSD.