Highlight Reel for September 27

SEVENTH HEAVEN

After a string of three straight ties, the men’s soccer team (3-1-3, 0-1-3 NESCAC) got back to its winning ways with an emphatic 6-1 win at home over the University of Southern Maine (0-7-2). Jason Oliver ’20 opened his collegiate scoring account less than a minute into the game and Charlie Ward ’22 netted a hat-trick, scoring three goals in the first 20 minutes of the second half.

NO BLUES AGAINST THE BLUES

The field hockey team cruised to a dominant 5-0 victory at Wellesley (4-4) on Tuesday, bringing their record to 6-1 for the season. Coming off a weekend victory over Wesleyan (4-4), the Polar Bears jumped to an early lead off a goal from Manveer Sandhu ’22 and never looked back. Bowdoin held an 18-1 shot advantage, and Emma Stevens ’20 padded her stat sheet with two goals and an assist to complete the victory over the Blues.

OVER THE HUMP

Following a shaky start to this fall’s campaign, the volleyball team got back in the win column with a 3-0 victory over Connecticut College (4-6-0) last Saturday. Following a 3-5 start to the season, the Polar Bears generated momentum early and carried it all the way through against the Camels, earning a crucial first NESCAC win to bring their conference record to 1-1. Emily King ’21 dominated with 19 digs, and Caroline Flaharty ’20 added 11 of her own in addition to 10 kills.

A TRUE SOUP-ERSTAR  

Joe Gowetski ’20, a captain of the football team, was named a semifinalist for the William B. Campbell trophy on Wednesday. The trophy honors college football players on the basis of their athletic performance, academic achievements and community service. Gowetski is one of 185 semifinalists from across the nation. Of the semifinalists, a dozen finalists will be announced on October 30, each of whom will win an $18,000 postgraduate scholarship.