News in Brief

Number of articles: 10

First Article: April 7, 2017

Latest Article: May 5, 2017

News in Brief

Two transports, no police issues during Ivies

During this year’s Ivies Weekend, two first-year students were transported to Mid Coast Hospital for overconsumption of alcohol—one on Thursday night and one on Saturday night. Two minor injuries and two instances of theft occurred, but only one Security-related record was broken: the number of photos taken with Director of Safety and Security Randy Nichols and other officers on duty.

Read more

News in Brief

Warehouse fire causes shortage at Hannaford

A fire at a Hannaford warehouse in South Portland left a number of the supermarket chain’s Maine locations—including the store in Brunswick—short on refrigerated products this past weekend. The Portland Press Herald reported on April 27 that the fire started in a truck’s refrigerator pump and then spread to the warehouse.

Read more

News in Brief

Experience program shorter than past years

The Bowdoin Experience program is one day shorter this year and overlaps completely with the College’s Open House for all admitted students. The program aims to bring admitted students from low-income backgrounds or otherwise traditionally underrepresented in higher education to campus.

Read more

News in Brief

Aircraft manufacturer coming to Brunswick

Brunswick Landing—the site of the former naval base, located approximately 10 minutes from the College—will become the site of a production facility for amphibious sport aircraft, the Times Record reported on April 4. Atol Avion, a Finnish company, partnered with an American investor group to form Atol USA, and plans to have its North American headquarters at Brunswick Landing, according to the Portland Press Herald.

Read more

News in Brief

Faludi named Pulitzer Prize finalist for memoir

Susan Faludi, research associate in Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies (GSWS), was named a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in the autobiography category for her memoir, “In the Darkroom,” (Metropolitan Books). The book explored her relationship with her father, a Hungarian Jewish Holocaust survivor who underwent gender reassignment surgery at age 76.

Read more

News in Brief

In response to phishing, IT adds dual authentication

Dual-authentication for logging onto Bowdoin Information Technology (IT) services such as Workday and Webmail with a Bowdoin username and password is now available to faculty, staff and students using a product called Duo. The effort comes in response to increased phishing and a January cybercriminal attack on faculty Workday data that changed direct deposit information, according to IT Security Officer Eric Berube.

Read more