Rising Covid-19 cases impact Children’s Center

On Monday, seven employees of the College tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the number of active employee cases to 24. As of the last update on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m., there are 52 active student cases. While the current number of cases marks an increase from last week, it is a sharp decrease from a high of over 200 active student cases following the Spring Concert in mid-April.

Among the branches of the campus community impacted by the spike in Covid-19 cases is the Children’s Center. Cases among the Center’s staff, children who attend daycare at the Center and Bowdoin faculty and staff who send their children to the center have forced entire age groups to stay home for over a week. These closures are out of an abundance of caution for the children that attend the Center, the majority of whom are unvaccinated.

The Preschool Room first closed on April 21. After a brief reopening, it was forced to close again. It will reopen on May 9 for vaccinated children and May 13 for unvaccinated children. Additionally, the Older Toddler Room had to close on April 26 and reopened this past Monday. To date, five children—some vaccinated and some unvaccinated—and one Center staff member have tested positive.