Highlight Reel for Nov. 17

Shooting for the stars: After receiving an at-large bid for the NCAA DIII Championships, the men’s soccer team (10-4-4, NESCAC 6-2-2) ended their season after losing 3-2 in a penalty shootout against Rutgers-Newark (20-2-1). Despite controlling the ball for the majority of the game and edging the Scarlet Raiders out 12-10 in shots, Bowdoin was unable to score. In the penalty round, Stevie Van Siclen ’18 saved two shots, but the team still fell.

Squashing the competition: The men’s and women’s squash team will face off against Bates today at home for their first match of the season. Last season, the men’s team came in eighth in the NESCAC Championship, placing them 27th in the nation last season. The women’s team came in sixth in the NESCAC Championship and 24th in the nation. This year, both teams return many strong performers, including All-NESCAC performer Ian Squiers ’19 and Tully Ross ’18.

Hoop for the best: The Bowdoin women’s basketball team opens their season with the Skidmore Invitational this weekend after coming out of last season as the third seed in the NESCAC and receiving an at-large bid to the NCAA Championship. The team returns five of their top six scorers and five of their top seven rebounders, including first-team All-NESCAC performer Kate Kerrigan ’18.

Matching strides: The Bowdoin sailing team, made up of Harrison Hawk ’18, Matt Safford ’20, Marie Bergsund ’20, and Alden Grimes ’21, finished the Match Race Nationals Regatta in fourth place, making it the best showing in program history at a National Championship. Bowdoin was seeded fifth going into the quarterfinals, but lost in the semifinals against the College of Charleston. Bowdoin then faced University of South Florida in the Petite Finals, but lost again.