House Olympics cancelled minutes before event start

Due to unforeseen weather and poor field conditions, the Office of Residential Life (ResLife) cancelled the annual College House Olympics, which was originally scheduled for the night of August 30 at Ryan Field from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m..

A wet field and the possibility of rain throughout the evening drove the decision. Several groups of College House members and their first year affiliates arrived at Ryan Field around 8 p.m., unaware the event had been cancelled, and were turned away by members of ResLife. In the following hour, ResLife sent house residents an email confirming the event’s cancellation.

Burnett House resident Dahlia Siegel-Zigmund ’24 expressed disappointment in the communication of the House Olympics and its ultimate cancellation.

“It was ten minutes before the House Olympics started and we were sitting up in someone’s room getting ready, and we heard some murmurings from downstairs that it was canceled altogether,” Siegel-Zigmund said. “I was definitely frustrated.”

This was the last college house event organized by former Associate Director of Residential Education and Residential Life Stephanie Patterson, whose final day at Bowdoin was August 31. ResLife notified College House residents on Wednesday September 1 of its plans to reschedule the event for today, Friday September 3, although the recent campus-wide shift to COVID-19 status Yellow has since further postponed this effort.