One employee and one student test positive for COVID-19, College ramps up testing protocol

On Tuesday, one employee in Moulton Hall tested positive and one student who received an inconclusive test in Monday’s testing received a positive result on an antigen test, COVID-19 Resource Coordinator Mike Ranen announced in two separate emails to the community. As a result, the College is increasing testing for students this week and will require students who miss a test to self-quarantine in their rooms.

There are now nine active cases—four students and five employees—and 28 students in quarantine.

As a result of the positive case in Moulton, the dining hall was closed for breakfast and lunch today and will not be open for breakfast through Friday so that staff members can receive antigen tests before their shifts, Ranen announced in his first email on Tuesday morning. Through contact tracing, the College determined that the employee did not have any close contacts required to quarantine.

In an email Tuesday evening, Ranen announced that thirteen students would be required to quarantine as a result of the student case. Additionally, he laid out a series of guidelines for increased testing, designed with the hope of preventing a large outbreak on campus like those seen elsewhere in Maine.

Students in the Monday/Thursday testing cohort will be required to test on both Wednesday and Friday instead of Thursday, and students on the Tuesday/Friday schedule will test on Thursday instead of Friday. Ranen wrote that the College would announce on Wednesday an updated testing plan for students, faculty and staff that will begin next week.

For now, the College remains in status level yellow.

“With student access to vaccinations beginning tomorrow, we are moving closer to a better day, but we are not there yet,” Ranen wrote. “Please help our community and our neighbors in Brunswick remain safe by continuing to follow the protocols of face coverings, good hygiene, and physical distancing. Now is not the time to let down our guard.”