Editor’s note 04/05/2021 at 3:31 p.m.: This article has been updated to incorporate additional details about the events surrounding the fire.
Jacob Trachtenberg ’24 was eating lunch early in the afternoon of Monday, March 29, at the Brunswick Inn, where he and a handful of other first-year students are living this semester, when a fire broke out upstairs. Trachtenberg and other students left the house when they heard the fire alarm sound.
“It was pretty hectic,” Trachtenberg said in a Zoom interview with the Orient. “We sort of watched the fire response from the patio of a nearby law firm.”
Trachtenberg and other students whose personal belongings were salvageable were able to retrieve them from inside the building where they had been staying, but smoke damage rendered the building uninhabitable for the time being.
Some students, including Katalina Echavarri ’24, in whose room the fire occurred, were not as fortunate.
“My … room in the Brunswick Inn caught fire due to an electrical accident,” Echavarri wrote in an email to the Orient. “I lost almost all my belongings including my laptop, all my clothes, and items from my childhood. Students and professors have been so supportive towards me throughout all this. I am very thankful for these two groups of individuals.”
Students living in the Brunswick Inn reported that the College did those of them who did not live in the area beds in Stowe Inn on a temporary basis, but the students were able to move to the Brunswick Inn’s other building, where they are all now staying.