College to facilitate access to Pfizer vaccines for students living in Maine

Editor’s Note on Friday, April 2, at 12:02 p.m.: This article has been updated to reflect additional information released to the student body about the College’s vaccination partnership with Mid Coast Hospital. 

The College will work with Mid Coast Hospital to provide Pfizer vaccinations to all Bowdoin students after vaccine eligibility is extended to all Maine residents over the age of 16 on April 7, COVID-19 Resource Coordinator Mike Ranen announced in an email to students on Thursday afternoon. This will include all students who are living in Maine, regardless of whether they are living on or off campus and whether or not they are in residence.

“These vaccinations will be provided to students over the next several weeks in order to make sure the larger community also continues to have access to vaccinations as doses are made available,” Ranen wrote. “We expect this partnership will allow all students to be fully vaccinated before the end of the semester.”

Both vaccine doses will be administered at Mid Coast’s clinic, which is located at the Brunswick Parks and Recreation Center at Brunswick Landing. The College will provide transportation to and from the location.

On Friday morning, Ranen followed up with an email to all students in which he announced that registration for initial vaccine appointments will open up to all students living in Maine on CampusGroups at 5 p.m. EDT on Sunday, April 4. Beginning on April 7, 50 vaccines will be administered to Bowdoin students on Mondays from 10:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Tuesdays from 11:45 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Wednesdays from 2:30 p.m. to 3:15 p.m., Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 6:45 p.m., Fridays from 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. This schedule will repeat each week until Monday, May 3.

“Students who receive their first dose through this partnership will schedule a second dose at the clinic, which they will receive twenty-one days later,” Ranen wrote.

In a follow-up email to the Orient, Ranen acknowledged that this schedule will only allow 1,150 students to be vaccinated through this partnership.

“The number of 50 slots a day is to ensure that the wider mid-coast community also has access to the vaccine,” Ranen wrote. “We imagine that some students will seek out vaccine appointments on their own through other sites in the area.”

“This came together super quickly and is very exciting,” Ranen added. “We’re very thankful to Mid Coast Hospital to partner with us.”