Highlight Reel for Sept. 15

Heading home: The women’s soccer team lost 1-0 to Amherst (2-1, 1-0 NESCAC) in last Saturday’s NESCAC opener after the Purple and White scored in the 78th minute of the game. The team will play its first home game against Wesleyan (2-1, 0-1 NESCAC), who they beat 3-1 last season, on Saturday at noon. The Polar Bears will then continue the weekend at home against Williams (3-0, 2-0 NESCAC), who they lost to 2-0 last season, on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Getting the rebound: A penalty kick in the 21st minute was the lone goal in the men’s soccer game against Amherst (1-0, 1-0 NESCAC) on Saturday, as Bowdoin lost 1-0 in its opening NESCAC match. The Polar Bears then rallied against Husson (1-2) on Tuesday, beating them 2-0 thanks to goals from Ethan Ellsworth ’18 and Levi Morant ’19 in the second half. The team will continue its season at home against Wesleyan (3-0) on Saturday at noon and Williams (2-0, 1-0 NESCAC) on Sunday at noon.

Riding the wave: The sailing team competed in five events this past weekend to open its season. After coming in second in the Harmon Trophy at Maine Maritime, the team qualifies for the New England Match Race Championships, which will be hosted by MIT in October. The team also finished second overall in the Penobscot Bay Open, fourth overall in the Harvard Invite, sixth overall at the Harry Anderson Trophy and 12th overall at the Toni Deutsch Trophy. The team will go on to compete in the Hatch Brown Trophy at MIT, the Callagy Ross Trophy at University of Vermont and the Central Series 2 at Boston College on Saturday.

Turf wars: After giving up a goal to Amherst (3-0, 1-0 NESCAC) in the sixth minute of last Saturday’s game, the field hockey team tied the game up early in the second half. Unfortunately, the Polar Bears could not keep the score even and fell to the Purple and White 2-1. The team came back with a 1-0 win over Bates (0-3, 0-2 NESCAC) on Wednesday. The team hopes to carry this momentum into its home games against Wesleyan (2-1) on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Williams (2-0, 1-0 NESCAC) on Sunday at noon.