BPD investigates local gunshots

The Brunswick Police Department (BPD) is investigating a civilian’s report on the firing of gunshots that occurred at approximately 8:26 p.m. on Maine Street and Atwood Lane last Sunday. The incident took place near Brunswick Apartments.

According to Chief of Police Scott Stewart, the BPD notified Bowdoin Safety and Security soon after the incident occurred and “worked cooperatively together.” Executive Director of Safety and Security Randy Nichols alerted the campus community through an email to the campus community later Sunday night.

“There have been no reports or threats concerning the College. This advisory is to inform you that this incident occurred for your general safety and awareness,” Nichols wrote.

According to the BPD’s news release, numerous bullet casings were found in the area of the disturbance and citizens reported witnessing a vehicle speed away after hearing the gunshots. It also appears that the bullets did not strike nor damage anything. Stewart highlighted that gunshot disturbances are unusual at Bowdoin and in the surrounding area.

“Gun firing within town limits is EXTREMELY rare. Lewiston PD and Portland PD (unfortunately) respond to many more [than] the more rural police departments,” Stewart wrote in an email to the Orient.

Stewart wrote that he could not offer any more information concerning the investigation at this time and will have more clarity about the suspect’s motive upon further BPD investigation.