Highlight Reel for March 31

DOUBLE O 7

The baseball team (7–4; 0–0 NESCAC) defeated Thomas College (5–8) 14–4 on Wednesday afternoon in South Portland. The Polar Bears took an early lead, with Kevin Murray ’25 and Luke Chessie ’23 both recording RBIs in the first inning and Murray scoring on an error. Murray knocked in two more runs in the second. Other Polar Bear runs came from Nick Merrill ’22, Bobby Pearl ’23, Ben McKenzie ’23, Liam Foley ’26, Stephen Simoes ’23, CJ Brito-Trinidad ’23 and Will Bordes ’26, with Simoes, Brito-Trinidad and Merrill earning two apiece. Pitchers Jake Sullivan ’26, Jackson Melendy ’26 and Jason Bogdanos ’24 all struck out two batters in the victory. The Polar Bears will play their first conference game of the season on Sunday against Middlebury College (8–3; 0–0 NESCAC) in Waterville.

THE ALL-AMERICAN DREAM

Sprinter Kianne Benjamin ’24 and pole vaulter Charlotte Hodge ’25 earned All-American honors at the NCAA DIII Indoor Track and Field Championships hosted on March 10 and 11 in Birmingham, Ala. Benjamin placed seventh in the 60m finals and fourth in the 200m, earning two All-Americans in one day and bringing her to a career total of four All-Americans. Benjamin also set two new school records during the preliminary rounds with a time of 7.58 seconds in the 60m and 24.50 seconds in the 200m. Hodge surpassed the 3.80m and 3.85m marks in the women’s pole vault to place fifth and earn her second career All-American honor. The men’s and women’s track and field teams start their outdoor seasons this weekend at the Bates Quad Meet in Lewiston.

TESTING THE NATIONAL WATERS

Bowdoin saw 13 swimmers compete in the NCAA Championships hosted in Greensboro, N.C. on March 15-18. Ella Riccio ’25 led the Polar Bears with a sixth place finish in the 50 yard freestyle and was awarded First Team All-American. The members of the men’s 200 medley relay team—Jack Tran ’26, Alex Grand’Pierre ’25, Ethan O’Connor ’23 and Steve Ward ’24—were awarded Second Team All-American honors. The women’s 400 medley relay broke its own school record with a time of 3:27.12 and placed 12th, earning Ella Martin ’24, Anna Roberts ’23, Tatum Zupnik ’24 and Riccio Second Team All-American status. The men’s and women’s teams finished 29th and 16th overall, respectively.