Highlight Reel for October 14

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES

The sailing team finished first, second and tenth overall out of the 13 teams competing at the Hewitt Trophy on Harpswell Sound last weekend. Bowdoin also competed in the Open Atlantic Coast Dinghy Championship against 18 teams and finished third overall to qualify for the Atlantic Coast Championship at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. These results mark two consecutive successful weeks for the Polar Bears, who finished seventh in the Moody Trophy and sixth at the Atlantic Coast Championships hosted by Brown University on October 1 and 2. Bowdoin will race at the Captain Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth College, the New England Match Race Championships and the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championship Finals on Saturday.

CLEAN SHEET

Last Saturday, the men’s soccer team (8–1–2; 3–1–2 NESCAC) defeated Trinity College (0–7–3; 0–6–1 NESCAC) 1–0. Midfielder Julian Juantorena ’23 scored off a pass from Carlton Steinberg ’24 with only three minutes left in the match. The Polar Bears went on to tie Amherst College (7–1–4; 2–1–4 NESCAC) 0–0 on Sunday in a tight, defensively minded match. Both teams were held shotless in the opening half, and goalkeeper Michael Webber ’23 stopped the four shots that came to the Polar Bears’ net in the second half. Bowdoin will take on Hamilton College (8–0–3; 4–0–3 NESCAC) on Saturday at Pickard Field.

DOUBLE HEADER DUBS

The women’s volleyball team (8–7; 4–3 NESCAC) defeated Hamilton College (7–5; 2–4 NESCAC), Middlebury College (8–7; 2–4 NESCAC) and Saint Lawrence University (5–13) last weekend. The match against Hamilton saw Bowdoin come back from a 0–2 deficit to eventually win the last set 16-14. Outside hitter Jenna Robbins ’23 earned two kills at the end of the match to dramatically cement the Polar Bear victory. Against Middlebury, Bowdoin won 3-1, with setter Ella Haugen ’23 leading the team with 31 assists and five service aces. Later that day, the Polar Bears blanked Saint Lawrence 3-0. Bowdoin lost to Tufts University (11–4; 5–1 NESCAC) on Tuesday and hopes to rebound tonight against Trinity College (6–9; 2–4 NESCAC) at Morrell Gymnasium.