BOC hires new assistant director

Cora Dow
BACK AT BOWDOIN: Eric Guiang '18 was a student officer for the Bowdoin Outing Club, and he now returns to the College to be an assistant director.

To help with the increase in programming and demand this semester, the Bowdoin Outing Club (BOC) recently hired Eric Giuang ’18 as an assistant director. The position had been vacant since the summer of 2020, and the BOC began its official search for a new assistant director at the beginning of this fall semester. Associate Director of the BOC Anna Bastidas played an integral role in his hiring.

“During this summer and early fall it quickly became apparent that having only two staff was inadequate to handle the level of programming with 41 BOCO [Bowdoin Outing Club Orientation] trips and an incredibly busy fall semester here at the BOC,” Bastidas wrote in an email to the Orient.

The BOC ultimately chose Guiang, as he brings a wealth of institutional knowledge to the role in addition to his impressive post-Bowdoin experience in the outdoor field. Guiang has a strong background in whitewater kayaking, canoe expedition travel, ski instruction and backcountry travel skills. It was his experience as a Bowdoin student, however, that made him interested in the position.

“As a student I really found a home at the BOC,” Guiang wrote in an email to the Orient. “It’s where I learned to whitewater kayak and found that I could pursue outdoor education as a career path. It felt natural that when this opportunity came up I would want to return to this community that I know and love. It’s an incredible position—I get to do what I love for work!”

Bastidas emphasized that the campus community echoes Guiang’s enthusiasm for his newfound role.

“Students had great things to say about him after his work with us during Orientation trips this past August, and they were extremely excited to hear that he had accepted the position,” Bastidas said.

Part of his work now includes learning to lead the kind of trips he took as a student.

“Over fall break, Anna and I took 23 students up to the Debsconeag Lakes loop for Leadership Training, and I took another small group to do the same loop last weekend,” Guiang said. “I am really excited to continue working with the leadership training and leader instructor training programs.”

Guiang’s natural leadership ability has not gone unnoticed by students hungry to experience the outdoors.

“When Eric was a student a couple years ago he was also an officer, so having him as a mentor has been really useful,” BOC student officer Paul Wang ’24 said.

His background as a Polar Bear certainly made him popular among students as well.

“He has a very useful perspective as a former Bowdoin student especially,” Wang said. “Also, Eric’s just a delightful individual. He’s very smart, but also very understanding. I think he’s very hopeful. He has high expectations and high aspirations for the BOC that match the rest of the officers.”

Looking to the future, Guiang is excited for the days ahead in his new position.

“I feel lucky to be in a position where I get to work with students and play outside on a regular basis,” Guiang said.