Increase to minimum wage of student dining employees

Dining Services announced this week its plan to raise the starting wage of student employees to $14.25 per hour in response to the nationwide labor shortage that has led to a staffing deficiency across many of the College’s departments. Beyond staffing, the labor shortage is causing a variety of problems for Dining Services, including delivery delays and food shortages.

“Dining Service[s] is a busy department, and students are a vital part of the team,” said Dining Services Interim Director Ken Cardone. “We need to offer a competitive wage. We have several vacancies and hope the wage increase will help fill positions.”

Most student jobs have a starting wage between $12.65 and $13 per hour. Current available listings at the Bowdoin Outing Club, Hawthorne-Longfellow Library and Career Exploration & Development all have starting wages below $13, while available dining positions offer wages as high as $15 per hour.

“Dining pays more than other departments—we expect more from our student employees,” Cardone said. “Without their help and commitment to the job, it’s difficult to operate.”

A shortage of adequate staff put Super Snack in jeopardy early in the semester, leading Dining Services to further advertise its available openings. Jack Magee’s Pub opened last week for the first time this year, while Magee’s Grill remains closed until further notice. Available positions at the Grill can be found on JobX.

News of the increase arrives on the heels of the College’s September 6 announcement to raise the starting wage of non-student staff members from $15.50 to $17 per hour.