Football falls short at home against Trinity

Editor’s Note 10/1/21 at 11:08 a.m.: This article has been updated to reflect the correct author. 

EYES ON THE ENDZONE Andre Eden '24 carries the ball past Trinity defenders. Last Saturday, the football team took on Trinity at home and fell by a score of 14-38.

On Saturday, September 25, the football team returned to Whittier Field for its first home game of the season, taking on Trinity College. Despite a strong second-half effort from the Polar Bears, Trinity was victorious, winning by a score of 38-14. The loss to the Bantams is the second consecutive loss of the season for the Polar Bears.

The game was marked by a disappointing first half, in which the Polar Bears failed to score a touchdown before halftime. However, Bowdoin found strength and momentum in the second half of the game, putting pressure on the Bantams and scoring two touchdowns by the end of the game.

Moving forward, the team plans to prepare for its next matchup by reviewing game films and incorporating the lessons from the loss to Trinity into future game plans. The team has a comprehensive plan for its next steps.

“[The offensive line] needs to continue to grow and eliminate little mistakes that we can control,” Head Coach BJ Hammer said. “It’s the same thing on defense. We need to make some explosive plays.”

Reflecting on the overall result of the game, Hammer is pleased with the way the Polar Bears performed, even in the face of a disappointing loss.

“I’d love to have [a win] down the road, but I think we played incredibly well,” Hammer said.

Despite the loss this weekend, the team remains optimistic moving forward. Hammer and many team members believe that the loss to Trinity will serve as a learning experience for their game against Williams College this Saturday.

“We’re going to take away the positives from [the game against Trinity]—the things we can do better,” Hammer said. “Williams is a good football team, so they’re going to make it hard for us.”

Optimism remains crucial for the team despite the fact that its season has started slowly.

“In every game, you have to go in confident,” defensive back Joey Brink ’24 added.

The team’s newly discovered synergy will be key to its confidence going forward. After being off of the gridiron since 2019 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, first-year and sophomore players have started to befriend and learn from their upperclassmen teammates.

“We’re really starting to gel together,” Brink said. “There’s nothing better than hanging out with your friends and playing football.”

The team does not see the underclassmen players’ lack of collegiate competitive experience as a disadvantage.

“I think having [young starters] is really beneficial,” Brink said. “With every game, we’re going to get a lot better.”

A large fan presence in the stands during competitions has also helped foster a sense of optimism on the team. After returning to the field after nearly two years without an in-person football season, the members of the team are grateful that their peers and members of the greater Brunswick community are taking the time to support them.

“After a year of not being able to play in front of people, it’s cool to finally have people back in the stands,” Brink said. “It’s great to be playing for something.”