In reversal, College permits select students to stay on campus through finals

In a reversal of the College’s previous policy, which imposed a strict November 21 deadline for all on-campus students to move out, a select group of students were informed last week that they have been approved to stay on campus beyond that date.

Beginning early last week, the College sent out emails to a group of students whose situations it believes warrant an extension of the original deadline. International students and others whose permanent home address is not in the United States are among those considered for this extension.

Students were granted extensions on an individual basis permitting them to stay on campus until December 21, the last day of finals. On Monday, Director of Residential and Housing Operations Lisa Rendall offered, through email, on-campus storage spaces through winter break to students who had received the extension and to students who are using public transportation to depart campus.

Penning some emails informing students of this change, Associate Dean of Upperclass Students and International Student Advisor Khoa Khuong ’04 made it clear that details surrounding storage arrangements are unavailable now but are forthcoming.

Evren Uras ’23 is among the students to have received this extension. In a message to the Orient, he welcomed the move.

“I appreciated the [College’s] consideration so far and hope it remains a support during the winter as we enter a season of uncertainty concerning the pandemic and its travel impact for international students,” he wrote.

Odejimi and Khuong were not available for comment.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.