Emergency funding available to students for fall semester

Dean of Students Kristina Bethea Odejimi reminded students about the College’s supplemental and emergency funding program in an email sent on Monday. The funding, which is available to students through the Office of the Dean of Students and does not have to be repaid, comes from donations from alumni, parents and friends of the College.

“Funding may include, but is not limited to, urgent medical or dental expenses, transportation to and from job or internship interviews, GRE, LSAT or MCAT test prep courses, and winter boots/coats,” Odejimi wrote.

While Odejimi’s email did not explicitly mention circumstances under which requests for funding would not be approved, Bowdoin’s website does specify such scenarios. These include “travel, lodging or storage costs associated with a campus departure,” whether the student were to depart on November 21, when the College is currently planning to close campus housing for the semester, or “during the unforeseen and unexpected closure of campus before the aforementioned date.”

According to Odejimi’s email, requests for funding are granted on a case-by-case basis, and the College’s website specifies that receiving these emergency funds does not impact a student’s annual financial aid award.

“Factors that are considered include the student’s financial need, the nature of the funding request, previous funding that has been accessed by the student and the availability of funding at the time that the request is made,” Odejimi wrote.