Small increase in total applications, decline in ED II pool

January 24, 2020

The College received 9,379 applications for the Class of 2024, representing a slight increase from the 9,332 received last year.

Early decision II (ED II) applications, however, decreased by 20 percent. The Office of Admissions received 309 ED II applications this year, compared to 383 for the Class of 2023.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Whitney Soule did not believe any single factor could account for the change.

“Within that decrease, there is not any area that is of particular note—just a general overall decrease in applications,” Soule wrote in an email to the Orient. “Given our increase of [ED I] applications, it’s not surprising to see fewer [ED II] applications.”

Bowdoin received a record number of 817 early decision I (ED I) applicants in the fall, accounting for a combined total of 1,126 applications between the two early decision rounds. Although 820 ED I applications were submitted, three applicants switched to regular decision after the November due date.

Soule also noted that the total number of applicants could still increase.

“In some circumstances, we allow students to apply after the deadline, so it’s possible that 9,379 is not our final application number,” Soule wrote.

ED II applicants will be notified of their decision in early February and regular decision applicants will be notified in mid-March.

More from News: