D.R.A.M., AJR to headline Ivies

Rapper D.R.A.M. and indie-pop band AJR will headline this year’s Ivies weekend, the Entertainment Board (E-Board) announced last night at a silent disco in Jack Magee’s Pub and Grill.

D.R.A.M., who will be performing in Farley Field House on Saturday, April 28, is best known for the song “Broccoli,” which features Lil Yachty. The song has over 450 million streams on Spotify, and the music video has nearly 300 million views on YouTube. His name is an abbreviation for “Does Real Ass Music.”

AJR, which will perform in David Saul Smith Union on Thursday, April 26, is composed of brothers Adam, Jack and Ryan Met. The band is originally from Manhattan, New York City; its music includes elements of pop, electronic and dubstep. In 2017, it released its second studio album, “The Click,” which included the songs “Weak,” which cracked the top 100 last summer, and “Sober Up.”

Given a specified budget, E-Board annually chooses two to three acts to perform at Bowdoin during Ivies weekend. The group attempts to gauge student opinion on artists through a survey distributed each fall. Last year, the group brought the band Smallpools, DJ Vanic and rapper A$AP Ferg.

“We survey the Board and try to come up with a really large group of artists from several genres—pop, hip pop, EDM and alternative. Just like a list of 20 that we think are up-and-coming and within our price range,” said E-Board chair Isel Fitzgerald ’18.

E-Board does not announce artists until contracts are made official. The silent disco was a new announcement mechanism. In past years, the announcement has come via a hype video or email.

While the professional acts have already been named, a student band that has yet to be chosen will open the show on Thursday night. The competition for this spot, known as Battle of the Bands, will be held on April 12.