Highlight Reel for Oct. 13

Southern Love: Bowdoin men’s tennis team members Grant Urken ’19 and Luke Tercek ’18 won their first match in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Oracle Cup 1-6, 6-2, 10-6 against Adrien Bouchet and Will Wanner of Emory University in Rome, Georgia on Thursday. The Polar Bear duo, which is seeded at No. 2, qualified for the tournament two weeks ago after winning the ITA Northeast Regional. They will continue their weekend against JT Wynne and Steven Koulouris from Skidmore College today at 1:30 p.m.

Victory Goal: The men’s soccer team (9-2, NESCAC 5-1) extended their winning streak to five games after two conference wins this weekend against Trinity (3-8-1, NESCAC 1-6-1) and Bates (5-3-2, NESCAC 1-3-2). On Saturday, Bowdoin beat Trinity 2-1 in overtime after Maxwell McPherron ’21 scored the first goal of his career at 97:52. The next day, Bowdoin won against Bates 2-1 after a goal each from Matty McColl ’19 and Jake Stenquist ’19. The Polar Bears will look to continue their streak against Hamilton (5-4-2, NESCAC 2-4-1) on Saturday at home at noon.

Bouncing back:  The women’s rugby team (3-1) fell 61-15 to the University of New England (4-1) in its first loss of the season. UNE gained an early lead, coming out of the first half 36-0. In the second half, the Polar Bears made three tries, but were unable to catch up to their opponents. The team’s next game is against in-state rival Colby in a homecoming match on Saturday at 11 a.m. at home.

On the rebound: The women’s soccer team (7-3-1, NESCAC 2-3-1) broke their five-game winning streak after a 1-0 loss to Trinity (6-5-1, NESCAC 4-3) on Saturday. Despite outshooting the Bantams 11-6, the Polar Bears were unable to score, with the one goal coming from Trinity at 77:56. The next day, Bowdoin came back on top, shutting out Husson (6-5) 4-0 after scoring three goals in the second half. The team will face Hamilton (6-4-2, NESCAC 2-4-2) and Colby (4-5-2, NESCAC 0-5-1) this weekend at home.