Highlight Reel for Sept. 29

Try, try, try again: The women’s rugby team (2-0) beat Sacred Heart 41-36 on Saturday. First year Hannah Zuklie scored the first try in her career and the first of the game to begin this high-scoring match. The team went on to score six more tries, each with different people scoring. The Polar Bears will continue their season with a game on October 7 against University of New England.

Down to overtime: Field hockey had a dramatic 0-1 loss against rivals Middlebury (5-2, NESCAC 3-1) in double overtime on Saturday, dropping their NESCAC records to 3-2. Middlebury had 25 shots compared to Bowdoin’s eight, but Madeline Ferrucci ’21 made an impressive 14 saves during the game, her career best. The Polar Bears then rebounded on Wednesday with a 3-2 win against non-conference Wellesley College. They will play University of Southern Maine on Monday at 3:30 p.m.

Spring fever: Women’s golf placed 11th of 17 at the Mount Holyoke Invitational, with a two-day team score of 708. Caroline Farber ’20 was the top-finisher for the Polar Bears with a score of 165. Men’s golf finished 17th of 19 at the Williams Invitational with a two-day score of 688, with Thomas Dunleavy ’20 holding the top spot for the Polar Bears. The team will be playing in the NESCAC Fall Qualifier this weekend, where it hopes to place in the top four in order to earn a spot in the NESCAC Championship in the spring.

One more lap: The track and cross-country teams opened the newly renovated Magee-Samuelson Track on Wednesday evening, inviting alumni, including Olympic gold-medalist Joan Benoit Samuelson ’79, to come and run a commemorative lap. The track was updated as part of the renovation of the Whittier Field facility and was remodeled to include eight lanes, giving Bowdoin the capacity to host larger championship events. The cross-country team will compete in the Bowdoin Invitational II this weekend, with another similar alumni event celebrating the new track before the invite on Saturday.