Hall of Honor inductees include a former NFL player and three-sport record holder

On Saturday, October 6, Bowdoin alumni, students and faculty will gather in Kresge Auditorium to celebrate the induction of six new members to the Bowdoin College Athletic Hall of Honor. This year, each inductee will sit with WCSH news reporter, Lee Nelson P’19 to have a “fireside chat,” in which they will talk about their experiences and accomplishments at Bowdoin.

Bowdoin College Hall of Honor inductees are selected biannually by an appointed selection committee, consisting of former Bowdoin athletes who are diversified across class year, sport and gender. The committee is presented with the task of selecting six new members out of a pool of roughly 200 decorated athletes. Former athletes are eligible to be selected for the Hall of Honor after the tenth anniversary of their graduation years. This year’s class of inductees includes a former NFL star, a current Bowdoin coach, and a three-sport athlete who still holds program records.

Frank Sabasteanski ’41 will be inducted due to his accomplishments both as an athlete and coach at Bowdoin. During his time at the college, he played on the football and track and field teams. As a football player, he was selected twice for the All-Maine Football Team. Sabasteanski returned to Bowdoin to coach the track and field team for nearly four decades. His coaching career was highlighted in 1974 and 1975 when he won two outdoor titles, going undefeated both seasons. He coached a total of seven All-American athletes and eight Hall of Honor inductees.

Dana Verrill ’72 distinguished himself as a defensive back for Bowdoin football. He set a Bowdoin record with eight single-season interceptions and 16 career interceptions. In the 1970 season, he ranked third in the country in interceptions and led the team to a 6-1 season. Additionally, the team won the state Colby-Bates-Bowdoin championship every year that he played.

Richard Leavitt ’76 also competed for the football and track and field teams. On track and field, he was a two-time All-American as well as a NCAA Division III national champion in 1975. After Bowdoin, Leavitt went on to play in the NFL for the New York Giants and the Oakland Raiders.

Christine Craig ’86 excelled in the soccer, basketball and softball programs, setting records in all three sports. In her final school year at Bowdoin she finished third in all-time wins and save percentage as a goalie. Additionally, her career goals-against-average remains second in the program’s history. In the winter, Craig was the basketball team’s lead scorer. She finished the year by setting a softball record for the highest single-season batting average.

Marissa O’Neil ’05 will be acknowledged for her accomplishments both as an athlete and a coach at Bowdoin. O’Neil was a star athlete on both the field hockey and ice hockey teams. She held five records in the field hockey program, including highest career points, single-season points, single-season goals, career assists and single-season assists. Moreover, O’Neil was a member of the winningest class in Bowdoin Women’s Ice Hockey history (87-17-6), winning two NESCAC championships and advancing to the NCAA Division III tournament twice. She also holds the program record in game winning goals.

Finally, Eileen Flaherty-Moore ’07 will be the youngest of this class’s inductees. Flaherty-Moore’s excellence on the basketball court place her in the top eight of 16 different statistical categories for the women’s basketball program. She remains the all-time leader in career points and single-season points at 1,864 and 572, respectively. She was also the first four-time All-NESCAC player in conference history as well as a two-time First Team Division III All-American. She won the NESCAC championship all four years and reached the Division III NCAA championship in 2004.

Celebrating athletic ability and commitment, the Hall of Honor will be a highlight of this year’s Homecoming Weekend.