Women’s lacrosse looks to come back from tough loss

Victoria Yu
Double Teamed: Captains Annie Glenn ’17 (left) and Anisa LaRochelle ’17 (right) lead the Polar Bear defense against a strong Colby attach in the team’s 18-9 loss on Wednesday.

The women’s lacrosse team (9-3, 5-3 NESCAC) has been pushing towards securing a high seed for NESCAC championships. Prior to a 18-9 loss to Colby (8-3, 5-2 NESCAC) on Wednesday, the Polar Bears had three crushing victories against Bates (6-6, 1-6 NESCAC), Connecticut College (1-9, 0-7 NESCAC) and Wheaton (7-6). The team is currently averaging 11.50 goals per game this season, which ranks fourth in the NESCAC.

“We’ve just been really focusing on ourselves, which I think has paid off,” said captain Annie Glenn ’17. “Making sure we’re playing for each other [and] really working together as … one unit rather than individual players … rather than focusing on the other team as we have in the past.”

Glenn particularly complimented the work ethic of the team’s new assistant coach, Paula Habel.

“[Habel] has done a really good job in just making practice fun, keeping it very positive, making sure that everyone feels like they’re on the team for reason and that everyone has a contributing factor,” said Glenn.

At this point last season, the team was only 5-6. Yet after only graduating four players last spring, the team had a strong core of returning players who were able to build upon last season’s work. After laying the team’s goals for this year’s season, the team has been focused solely on winning, including the juniors returning who were abroad.

“Everyone’s been really positive all season,” said captain Anisa LaRochelle ’17. “I think everyone’s motivation, focus and commitment has taken it to the next step.”

Having more depth on the attack, midfield and defense this year has been a contributing factor to the team’s success.

“A lot of people have been getting in games recently,” said LaRochelle. “I think that has been giving people more confidence playing.”

The women’s lacrosse team has been moving up the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association’s Division III poll, improving from its initial No. 15 spot to No. 8.

The Polar Bears will return to the field against fellow NESCAC competitor Wesleyan tomorrow at noon.