BSG considers break programming, affinity group funding proposals

December 1, 2023

Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) met on Wednesday for their penultimate meeting of the fall semester. Members discussed two proposals: a committee for break programming and a fund for affinity group kickoff events.

If approved, the first proposal would create an ad hoc committee to provide programming and support for students who stay on campus during breaks.

The Diversity and Inclusion Committee put forth the proposed fund for affinity groups on campus to use for their kickoff events. The fund would support these clubs in their efforts to create community for incoming students, especially at the start of the academic year. The fund would provide a $250 grant to each of the 20 affinity groups, totaling roughly $5,000 provided that each affinity group takes advantage of its full funding allocation.

BSG will vote on both proposals at the next meeting.

The Dining Advisory Committee gave an update on its meeting with Dining Services. Members relayed data collected from their survey to Dining staff.

The Facilities and Sustainability Committee discussed the installation of sanitary door handles across campus, namely in the bathrooms of Smith Union, and the distribution of laundry sheets by Residential Life in dorm laundry rooms soon.