Extended Thanksgiving break extremely popular among students

Students overwhelmingly support an extended Thanksgiving Break, according to a report released to students by Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) last night. The report compiled data from a survey sent out by BSG on November 12.

Out of a total of 1,521 respondents—82.2 percent of the College’s student body—96.8 percent of respondents support changing the academic calendar to accommodate an extended Thanksgiving Break. According to an informational flier for faculty compiled by BSG, the number of responses “exceeded all previous student-interest surveys conducted by BSG.”

“I was amazed by the outpouring of student self advocacy. There are few issues that garner this much support,” BSG President Paul Wang ’24 said.

The report detailed that students cited both mental health and financial benefits among their reasons for supporting an extended break.

In addition to the information released to students yesterday, BSG handed out their informational fliers to faculty on Sunday, which contained select student-written responses and a “Frequently Asked Questions” section. BSG also sent a detailed report to the Committee on Governance and Faculty Affairs (GFA) on Wednesday.

“This is the model that BSG should continue. We should continue to identify issues we’re passionate about and that there’s common ground on. We should serve as a mouthpiece for the student body for the administration,” Wang said.

A GFA meeting will be held today at 2:20 p.m., where faculty will vote on their recommendation for President Safa Zaki. Wang said that students should speak with faculty and encourage their professors to vote at the meeting.

“Any form of faculty representation is important,” Wang said. “[Faculty] should vote on their own assessment on the issue, but consider the outpouring of student advocacy, I’d say.”