Highlight Reel for November 18

RUNNING UP THAT HILL

The cross country programs both took fifth place out of 35 teams in the NCAA Division III East Regional tournament at Pickard Field on Saturday. Individually, Leila Trummel ’23 placed fifth out of 245 runners and Will Goddard ’25 placed sixth out of 242 runners. Stephanie Chun ’24 earned a 15th place finish while Brooks Peters ’23 took 21st place. Trummel, Goddard, Chun and Peters all qualified to compete in the NCAA Championship, which will be held in Lansing, Mich., tomorrow. This is Trummel’s second time qualifying for the race, while Goddard, Chun and Peters are all making their NCAA Championship debut.

WINNING AT WHITTIER

In its final game of the season on Saturday, the football team (3–6) defeated Colby College (4–5) 21–14 at Whittier Field. Running back Andre Eden ’24 ran it into the endzone from eight yards out on the opening drive. At the end of the first half, the Polar Bears capitalized after a 37-yard pass from quarterback Robbie Long ’25 to wide receiver Colton Fahey ’24 that put Bowdoin on Colby’s one-yard line. Long scored another touchdown with fewer than six minutes left in the game, and defensive back Chris Althoff ’24 intercepted a Colby pass to cement the victory. Long became the second quarterback in Bowdoin history to rush for 100 yards in a game, and the win marked the first time Bowdoin has defeated Colby since 2015. It is also the first time the Polar Bears have had three wins in a season since 2011.

ON POINT

James McGowan ’25 and Michael Simonds ’24 led the men’s basketball team (2–2; 0–0 NESCAC) in points last weekend. McGowan scored 21 points in Bowdoin’s 90–68 loss to Swarthmore College (3–1) on Saturday and 20 points in a 90–69 defeat to Haverford College (1–2) on Sunday. Simonds scored nine points against Swarthmore and a team-best 25 points against Haverford. Xander Werkman ’23 also contributed 18 total points over the weekend. The Polar Bears will play their home opener against the University of New England (1–3) on Tuesday night in Morrell Gymnasium.