President Rose to step down at end of the next academic year

In an email to the campus community Tuesday morning, President Clayton Rose announced he will step down as president of the College at the end of the 2022-2023 academic year.

“With Bowdoin stronger than it has ever been in virtually every regard and with the clear prospect of life on campus and elsewhere returning to normal in the months ahead as we learn to live with the ups and downs of the virus, the end of the next academic year will be the right time to welcome a new president to the College,” President Rose wrote.

This is President Rose’s seventh year at the College. Prior to arriving at Bowdoin, President Rose served on the faculty of Harvard Business School and was Vice Chairman and Chief Operating Officer at J.P. Morgan. Currently, he is the chair of the Board of Trustees of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and sits on the Board of Directors of Bank of America.

“I do not yet know what will come next in my professional life. I have been very lucky to have had several chapters that have been remarkably interesting, rewarding, and fun—none more so than being here at Bowdoin—and I am looking forward to taking some time to consider the next chapter,” President Rose wrote.

Trustees Sydney Asbury ’03 and Bertrand Garcia-Moreno ’81, P’17 will serve as co-chairs of the Presidential Search Committee, Chair of the Board of Trustees Robert White ’77, P’15 wrote in an email to the campus community. The committee will be formed following the Board’s meetings in mid-May and will be composed of trustees, a non-trustee alumni representative and students, faculty and staff.

More extensive coverage of President Rose’s tenure at the College will be published in this week’s edition of The Orient.