Highlight Reel for December 10

WE THE NORTH

The women’s hockey team closed out its fall semester with a 3-0 home victory over visiting University of Southern Maine (USM) Tuesday night. Zoe Wilson ’23 and Brett Stoddard ’24 opened the scoring with two back-to-back goals early in the first period and the Polar Bears never looked back. Izzi Stoddard ’22 added a power play goal in the second period. Meg Miranda ’23 had 17 saves in the shutout. Bowdoin moves to 4-3-0 with the win and will next  return to action on New Years’ Day at Williams.

STATEMENT PERFORMANCE

The men’s swimming and diving team, competing in the first ever Maine State Meet, came out on top in a crowded field of seven teams. The Polar Bears were buoyed by a standout performance from Alex Grand’Pierre ’25, who set a meet, pool and school record in three breaststroke races. Ted Mebust ’22, Eric Degodny ’24 and Justin Yang ’22 also set meet or pool records. The Polar Bears have more than a month to prepare for their next meet at home against the University of Maine on January 15.

HOT OUT THE GATE

The 11th-ranked women’s basketball team cruised to a 69-43 away win over UMaine-Farmington on Tuesday evening, bringing the Polar Bears’ record to 9-1 heading into the break. Bowdoin scored 13 unanswered points to start the game and entered the halftime with a 14-point lead. First year Sydney Jones ’25 led the Polar Bears with 19 points, followed by Sela Kay ’22, who had 12. The Polar Bears will have three weeks to rest before hosting the Coastal Classic in Morrell Gymnasium on January 1-2.