Highlight Reel for April 9

ASSIST. AD KEVIN LONEY

Earlier this week, the Athletic Department announced that Kevin Loney, an assistant coach for the football team since 2015, will be promoted to assistant director of athletics for facilities and event management in the fall of 2021. Loney is moving into the role left vacant by current Associate Director of Athletics for Facilities Lynn Ruddy, who is retiring at the end of this academic year. Since 2015, Loney has been very involved in the Bowdoin athletic community, acting as an advisor for the Athletes of Color Coalition, planning the regional NCAA women’s basketball tournament and serving as a member of the Bowdoin Athletics Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee and the NESCAC Coaches of Color Consortium.

DIII WEEK

The 10th annual NCAA Division III (DIII) week kicked off April 5 and will last through Sunday, April 11. As this has been an unusual year for athletics, the Bowdoin athletic department is highlighting the roles coaches and staff from around the department play, both during and before the COVID-19 pandemic. On a broader scale, the NCAA is encouraging all DIII athletic departments across the country to conduct and promote at least one academic, athletic, co-curricular or extracurricular activity. The goal of the week is to increase awareness and understanding of DIII athletics.

ALUMNI SERVICE AWARD

Albert E. “Ted” Gibbons ’58, a long-time friend of the Bowdoin rowing team, will be receiving the 2021 Alumni Service Award, which is the highest honor the Bowdoin Alumni Council can bestow. Gibbons has served as the head of the alumni council and in many volunteer positions. Ever since he graduated, he has been giving back to the rowing team, and the Bowdoin Rowing Association recently renamed its endowment the Ted Gibbons Family Rowing Fund in his honor. Further, both a shell and an oar in the Smith Boathouse bear the Gibbons name in appreciation of Ted and in honor of his legacy on the team.