Highlight Reel for April 16

RESCHEDULED

Rescheduling games that had been cancelled due to COVID-19, the athletic department announced that the softball team will play a double-header at Tufts on Saturday and a double-header against Colby at home on Sunday. These games were originally scheduled to be back-to-back home and away double-headers for the weekends of April 10 and 11 against Tufts and April 3 and 4 against Colby. The Polar Bears were initially supposed to play Bates this upcoming weekend, but due to an outbreak of COVID-19 at Bates, those games have been cancelled, leaving space for the make-up matches.

OPEN LONGER

As demand for athletic facilities has increased, Ashmead White Director of Athletics Tim Ryan announced in a post to the Athletics Feed in CampusGroups that athletic facilities will be open as late as 10 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. “Good morning – A quick update on hours at the Buck Fitness Center. We have extended hours on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to 10:00 p.m. at the fitness center and will continue to monitor use of the facility to determine additional adjustments, if needed. Thank you for following our use guidelines at our facilities!” Ryan wrote. While increased hours are now offered at Buck Fitness Center, the hours for the remaining athletic facilities—Lubin Squash Courts, Greason Pool and Farley Field House—remain the same.

DEADLINE DAY

The National Hockey League (NHL), which is playing a shortened, 56-game season, saw its trade deadline pass this past Monday April 12. While many of the League’s most impactful players are locked into long-term, big-money deals, there were still many high profile trades leading up to Monday. At the top of the list was a trade between the Boston Bruins and Buffalo Sabres, which sent former 2010 first-draft pick Taylor Hall to the Boston Bruins for Anders Bjork and a few draft picks. Hall was recognized as the NHL’s MVP in 2018, but has since struggled to gain traction in the league. Another high-profile trade saw Anthony Mantha sent to the Washington Capitals from the Detroit Red Wings in exchange for Jakub Vrana, Richard Panik and a couple draft picks.