Highlight Reel for February 28

SMALL BUT MIGHTY

The women’s basketball team defeated Hamilton 77-63 in its NESCAC quarterfinal matchup last Saturday, but at halftime, a different group of competitors took the court. The back-to-back NCAA Division III finalist Polar Bears are a tough act to follow, but the third-and-fourth-grade travel teams from the Ararat Youth Basketball League entertained fans with a thrilling exhibition game during the break. Despite their diminutive stature, the athletes played a close game, with the blue team eking out a 1-0 victory over the red team after number 39 on the blue team scored the game’s only point.

WHO WOOD(WARD) HAVE THOUGHT?

In just his first season as Head Coach of the women’s and men’s squash teams, Theo Woodward was named the NESCAC Men’s Squash Coach of the Year. Woodward led the team to a fifth-place NESCAC championship finish, the team’s best result in a decade, and the team is expected to have its first winning season since 2013. Woodward was chosen by a panel of his peers and is the first ever Bowdoin coach to earn the award. The season is not yet over for Woodward; the men’s squash team will travel to Cambridge, Mass. as the seventh seed in the Summers Cup (C Division) of College Squash Association Nationals this weekend.

RELAYING THIS INFO TO YOU

Coming off of a fifth place finish at NESCAC Championships last weekend, the winter season will continue for the six members of the women’s swim and dive team who qualified for NCAA Championships based on their times in the meet. Three of Bowdoin’s relay teams earned NCAA B cut times, just short of automatic qualification, but finally qualified after results from across the nation came in. Mary Laurita ’21 also qualified individually in the 100 butterfly. The 200 free relay, 200 medley relay and 400 medley relay teams will all compete in the NCAA Division III Championships in Greensboro, N.C., from March 18-21.

MOMENT IN THE SPOTLIGHT

A duo of first-year squash players were named to All-NESCAC teams yesterday, continuing a noteworthy season for both teams. Caroline Glaser ’23, who played at number one on the women’s ladder and won six games over the course of the season, was named to the Second Team. Deven Kanwal ’23, who played at number one on the ladder for the men’s team and won 10 games this year, was named to the First Team.