Highlight Reel for February 21

SEED SEED SEED SEED SEED

After an eighth-place finish at NESCAC championships two weeks ago, the women’s squash team is seeded fifth in the the Walker Cup Division for the upcoming College Squash Association National Tournament, which begins tonight in New Haven, Conn.. The Walker Cup is the C division of the annual national tournament. The Polar Bears will face Wesleyan, which has beaten Bowdoin twice this season, in the first round.

FEELIN’ THE LOVE

In a field packed with Division I programs, the women’s and men’s track and field teams emerged with a flurry of personal bests at the Dave Hemery Valentine Invitational last weekend. Eight Polar Bears left the meet with personal bests in a number of events, and the men’s 4×400 relay earned an impressive 18th-place finish in the deep field. Bowdoin will return to host the Bowdoin Invitational IV this weekend as a final tune-up before NCAA Division III championships in two weeks.

SEL-ING THE DEAL

The women’s basketball team continued its upward trend after suffering two recent losses at the hands of Tufts and Amherst, clinching the third NESCAC playoff seed with an emphatic 83-50 victory at Wesleyan on Sunday afternoon. Bowdoin started the game strong and never took its foot off the gas, leading the entire game and by as many as 40 points in the second half. Sela Kay ’22 had a standout performance, tying the school record with seven three-pointers in the victory. The Polar Bears will begin their postseason campaign when they host Hamilton at home in the NESCAC quarterfinals on Saturday at 3 p.m. in Morrell Gym.

HEATING UP, BUT DON’T MELT THE ICE!

The men’s hockey team rebounded from a five-game losing streak to finish out its regular season home slate of matchups with a 3-1 senior day victory over visiting Wesleyan. After scoring no more than two goals in a game since January 24, the Polar Bears jumped to an early lead, with captain Pat Geary ’20 tallying two goals in the first seven minutes of the game. The Cardinals responded with a power play goal early in the third period, but Graham Rutledge ’22 iced the game with an empty-net goal as the clock expired. Bowdoin sits in the final NESCAC playoff spot right now and will clinch the spot with a win against Tufts on Saturday at 4 p.m.