Highlight Reel for November 15

GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, SOLD

Following a run to the NESCAC final, the volleyball team earned an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. The Polar Bears are one of 32 teams in the nation to qualify for the Division III Championships. Bowdoin will be looking to eclipse last year’s performance in the tournament, where the team made it to the Sweet Sixteen before losing to Babson. The first tournament game is tonight at 5:30 p.m. at Tufts. This past week, Cori Gray ’22 and Caroline Flaharty ’20 were both named to All-NESCAC teams. Flaharty was also named an All-Northeast player by the American Volleyball Coaches Association, while Gray and Ashley Williams ’21 earned honorable mentions.

FIFTH, BUT NO CIGAR

After a superlative season for the field hockey team, in which it finished with a 14-2 overall record and allowed just 0.67 goals per game, Bowdoin did not earn an at-large bid to the NCAA DIII Championship Tournament. Despite the fact that the Polar Bears finished fifth in the most recent National Field Hockey Coaches’ Association poll, a first-round exit from the NESCAC tournament at the hands of Hamilton pushed Bowdoin out of contention for NCAA tournament qualification.

BRINGING HOME THE BACON

Despite being knocked out by Tufts in the NESCAC quarterfinal two weeks ago, the women’s soccer team was given reason to celebrate this week when two players were named All-NESCAC selections. Morgen Gallagher ’20 earned her third all-conference recognition, starting all year in a defense that allowed only 1.04 goals per game. Lynn Farquhar ’21 also earned all-NESCAC accolades for her work in the midfield. Both players were named to the all-conference second team.

BOASTING AN IMPESSIVE RESUME

The men’s and women’s squash teams open their winter season with back-to-back home matches against Bates and Vassar this weekend. These are the first games for new Head Coach Theo Woodward, who was hired in May after Tomas Fortson, the head coach of 19 years, stepped down. Expectations are high for Woodward, who arrives with coaching experience at Dartmouth and Drexel and will seek to steer both teams to new heights. He is joined by assistant coach Ian Squiers ’19, a former player for the men’s team. The opening match is at the Lubin Squash Center at 6 p.m. against Bates.