Highlight Reel for December 6

SCIPION TOP

Sophie Barber ’23 and Deven Kanwal ’23 were both named NESCAC Players of the Week for women’s and men’s squash, respectively, following the pair of first-years’ performances against Hamilton and Wesleyan on November 23 and 24. Barber came back from a first-game loss against Hamilton to win three straight and narrowly clinch victory. Kanwal, playing at first position on the ladder, swept his weekend matches and led the men’s team to back-to-back team victories, propelling the Polar Bears to their best start since 2007.

LOCKDOWN D, ALL-REGION TEAM THREE

In the final round of individual postseason accolades, Morgen Gallagher ’20 was named Third Team All-Region by the United Soccer Coaches Association. Gallagher, a defender on the women’s soccer team, moved from an attacking midfield to a more defensive role this season for the Polar Bears and was a stalwart in one of the NESCAC’s most consistent defenses—Bowdoin allowed just 1.04 goals per game over the course of the season. This award capped a standout four-year career for Gallagher, who started all 16 games for all four of her years on the team.

HITTING THE BOOKS

Seventy-four Bowdoin fall athletes were named to the NESCAC All-Academic team, which honors students in sophomore year and beyond who have maintained at least a 3.5 unweighted GPA. All-Sportsmanship awards are handed out by the NESCAC Student-Athlete Advisory Committee to one athlete on each team. Five Bowdoin athletes—Dani Abrams ’20 (volleyball), Edward Bull ’20 (men’s cross country), Joe Gowetski ’20 (football), Lizzie Sands ’20 (women’s soccer) and Kate Toll ’20 (women’s cross country)—were named to both the all All-Academic and All-Sportsmanship teams.

YOU’RE THE (SCHWARZ)MAN, JERRY

Bowdoin alumnus and former tennis standout Jerry Jiang ’19 was awarded a Schwarzman Scholarship this past week. He was one of 148 winners from a pool of close to 5,000 applicants. The scholarship is a prestigious award that pays for a year of graduate school at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China. Jiang, last year’s tennis captain, won the Division III Doubles Championship along with co-captain Grant Urken ’19. He holds the record for most doubles wins in Bowdoin history and is currently coaching tennis at Claremont, Mudd and Scripps colleges before he departs for Beijing next fall to continue his studies.