Highlight Reel for October 18

BECAUSE OF WIND-DIXIE

The women’s sailing team competed in two separate regattas last weekend, posting strong performances in both and qualifying for Match Race Nationals in the process. At the Women’s Showcase B Finals hosted by St. Mary’s College of Maryland, the six Polar Bear sailors jumped to an early lead and cruised to an easy victory. At the Match Race New England Championship in Newport, Bowdoin held on after a tough first day to qualify for the finals, earning them a berth to Match Race Nationals during the first weekend of November.

PERSONAL BEST & JELLY

At the Open New England Championship last weekend, the Bowdoin cross-country team emerged from a stacked field as one of the highest-placing Division III programs in New England. Boosted by a personal-best 18:21 5K from Caroline Shipley ’20, the women’s team finished ninth overall and second of the DIII schools at the meet. The men’s team finished first of all DIII schools. Notably, all top-five men’s runners finished with personal best times in the 8K race. Both teams will have a week to rest before returning to competition next weekend, when they will host the second Bowdoin Invitational.

TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE

The football team’s record fell to 0-5 after a 36-14 loss to Amherst (4-1) last Saturday. A slow start cost the Polar Bears, who were unable to claw their way back from an early deficit. The Mammoths put 14 points on the board in the first quarter and held Bowdoin scoreless until the final quarter of the game. Individually, Nate Richam-Odoi ’20 recorded his third straight game with more than 100 rushing yards, the first Bowdoin player to do so this century. Bowdoin returns to action at Tufts on Saturday.

THURSDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

The field hockey team cruised to a 4-0 victory over visiting Husson University (5-5) under the lights at Howard F. Ryan Field last night. The Polar Bears jumped out to a quick lead, scoring all four goals in the first half, and all three Bowdoin goalkeepers made an appearance in net to maintain the shutout. This victory keeps the Polar Bears’ eight-game win streak alive as they head into their final three conference games.