Highlight Reel for October 25

DO OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY

The women’s rugby team fell to Vassar 32-24 on Saturday, snapping a four-game winning streak. The Polar Bears jumped out to an early start, carrying a narrow 12-10 lead into half. After a series of Vassar tries, Bowdoin trailed by a single point with two minutes left and had an opportunity to take the lead, but a late turnover allowed Vassar to seal the victory with another try. The Polar Bears return to action against the University of New England this Saturday.

TAKE IT SLOW SO WE CAN LAST LONG

The men’s soccer team came up short in a 1-0 double-overtime loss to Colby on Wednesday, putting a dent in their NESCAC playoff hopes. The Polar Bears dominated for nearly the entire game, recording 15 shots to Colby’s five, but were unable to get past Colby goalkeeper Matt Morin. The Polar Bears face two crucial contests against Williams and Tufts within the next week. Bowdoin will almost certainly need to win at least one of these games to have a chance at securing the final NESCAC playoff seed.

COLLEGE CRUISES, COLBY LOSES

At a Monday night contest under the lights, the field hockey team continued its spectacular season with a narrow 2-1 victory over Colby. The victory was Head Coach Nicola Pearson’s 350th as coach of the Polar Bears. Colby jumped out to an early 1-0 lead, but Bowdoin responded with two quick first-half tallies and maintained the lead until the final whistle. The Mules had an opportunity to equalize with a penalty shot as time expired, but Bowdoin held on for the win. The team closes out the regular season with matches against Williams and Tufts before the NESCAC playoff seeds are announced.

PINK IS THE NEW BLACK

Following the volleyball team’s annual Dig Pink game on October 4, where the team recorded a thrilling 3-2 victory over Williams in Morrell Gymnasium, the team has completed its fundraising efforts and announced the final numbers for this year’s event. The Polar Bears recorded 100 digs against Williams, and between per-dig donations and other fundraising sources the team was able to raise over $5,000 to donate to the Side-Out foundation, which promotes research and treatment for Stage IV breast cancer.