Details revealed regarding Harpswell reconstruction

With one construction project complete, the College is moving forward with its plan to revamp housing for upper class students. Construction began in May on the new Harpswell Apartments, which will house 132 students in three buildings of four-, six- and eight- person apartments, and virtual renderings of the apartments are now available online. The buildings are expected to be ready for occupation in the fall of 2020.

Each apartment will have only single bedrooms with full-sized beds, a well as a kitchen, bathroom and common room. Each building will also feature a two-story common area, and the first floor will have a gathering space and a study area. The second floor will have a closed-in study space and laundry facilities.

“The idea is that there will be fewer events within the apartments. They’ll be in the common space,” said Lisa Rendall, director of residential and housing operations. “And then the way the buildings are situated on the property will almost be creating a mini-quad in the middle, which we’re excited about.”

With many of these features, the College is attempting to attract students considering living off campus. A working group of students, faculty and staff convened in 2017 after a record number of students lived off campus to identify priorities for new on-campus housing. Single bedrooms and large common areas to host events and parties were among those priorities.

As new residential options become available, Pine Street Apartments and Stowe Inn are slated to be closed, although there is no definite timeline for their closure. The College also anticipates further lowering the number of students allowed to live off campus, from the current cap of 150, to 125.