Mishra ’20 wins BSG presidency in first ranked-choice vote

Ural Mishra ’20 was elected Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) president Sunday night after prevailing in a three-way race in BSG’s first elections governed by ranked-choice voting.

Just 926 students voted in this year’s elections, down from 1,075 last year and 1,234 in 2017.

In the other two contested elections, Arein Nguyen ’21 was elected vice president with 662 votes, and Lily Tedford ’22 was elected chair of academic affairs with 527 votes.

In the presidential election, no candidate had a majority based solely on first-choice votes, though Mishra had a plurality with 428 first-choice votes, ahead of Nate DeMoranville ’20 and Salim Salim ’20, who came in with 300 and 188 first-choice votes, respectively. When Salim’s votes were redistributed to DeMoranville and Mishra based on voters’ second choices, Mishra reached 528 votes, roughly 58 percent of the total and enough to make him BSG’s next president.

Five BSG chair positions went uncontested this round of elections. Anibal Husted ’22 will be chair of student affairs; Marcus Williams ’21 will be chair of diversity and inclusion; Sonia Shah ’22 will be chair of student organizations; Charlotte Hall ’20 will be chair of the treasury; and Wilder Short ’22 will be chair of facilities and sustainability. All of the uncontested candidates won at least 75 percent of the vote over the option “Blank Dot.”