BSG executive committee elections this weekend

Elections for the six chairs of BSG executive committee open today and will remain open until Sunday at 8 p.m. In addition to serving on the executive committee next to the president and vice president, each chair will head up their own committee, which oversee specific parts of campus life.

Two positions, the chair of student affairs and the chair for diversity and inclusion, are uncontested in this year’s elections.

Currently abuzz with issues of ESD and IP requirements and the course syllabi project, BSG chair of academic affairs is held responsible for all things related to academic policy from a student perspective. Though not stated explicitly in the BSG constitution, curriculum reform has been at the forefront of the academic affairs committee as current chair Mohamed Nur ‘19 has spearheaded initiatives to re-evaluate Bowdoin’s academic policy and curriculum. Ramya Chengalvala ’20, Aneka Kazlyna ’20 and Nikki Tjin A Djie ’21 are running for this position.

The chair of facilities and sustainability serves as a medium between the student body and a multitude of college offices, such as Facilities, Security, Information Technology, Dining Services and Sustainability. On a regular basis, the chair organizes transportation for BSG-subsidized events, such as Thursday night bowling. Past initiatives have included increasing lighting on the quad and providing picnic tables outside of Moulton Dining Hall. The candidates for chair of facilities and sustainability are Ian Culnane ’20, Nathanael DeMoranville ’20 and Rose Warren ’21.

Officially charged with chartering and re-chartering student organizations, BSG chair of student organizations is concerned with all things club-related, from organizing inclusivity trainings to poster how-to workshops. Alongside the Student Activities Office, the Student Organizations Oversight Committee, under the purview of the chair of student organizations, aims to ensure clubs equal access to Bowdoin’s resources. Jenna Scott ’19, Jono Harrison ’19 and Fanta Traore ’20 are running for this position.

The Student Activities Funding Committee is the name of the game for the chair of the treasury. In charge of allocating funding for all charted clubs, commits hours every week to hearing and approving club budgets alongside the SAFC. The candidates for chair of the treasury are Theo Christian ’19 and Harry Sherman ’21.