Joshua’s planning to close next Saturday

Thetis Fourli
POUR ONE OUT: Joshua’s Restaurant and Tavern is closing next Saturday, September 28. The Maine Street tavern has served food and drinks to Bowdoin students and the Brunswick community for almost 34 years and was known as a social hub for its reguarly scheduled live entertainment.

Joshua’s Restaurant and Tavern, located at 123 Maine Street, is closing its doors next Saturday, September 28, marking an end to almost 34 years of serving food and drinks to the Brunswick community.

TJ and Cheri Siatras, co-owners of the tavern, are parting ways with the business to pursue other financial and personal goals.

“My wife and I recently dropped our daughter off at UMaryland as a freshman and we are empty nesters,” Siatras said. “And it’s time to not have this responsibility.”

Joshua’s history runs deep in the community and has transformed in many ways since first opening. It originally opened as a small sandwich, beer and wine establishment, limited to only 50 seats. Now, the family-owned restaurant has been passed through generations and grown to accommodate upwards of 250 customers. It had transitioned from family dining to steak and seafood before becoming the tavern and restaurant it is known as today.

Siatras’s changes to the restaurant were largely inspired by his parents.

“When I came back from living and working in other areas, I came back and brought ideas and concepts that I had seen [in] other places that sort of sparked the takeoff.… We kept the best of everything that my parents’ restaurant encompassed,” Siatras said.

Entertainment used to be an integral part of the Joshua’s experience with solo and duo acts performing in the pub and music ranging from original songs to American classics. This atmosphere solidified Joshua’s as a hub for Brunswick townspeople as well as Bowdoin students.

“I was by no means one of the ‘Shuas locals,’ but I did enjoy going there with friends on Thursday nights. Joshua’s eventually became my place to bring out-of-town friends and my family,” Robbie McKee ’25 wrote in an email to the Orient.

McKee appreciated how Joshua’s fully belonged to the people of Brunswick and catered to more than just Bowdoin students.

“I think that Joshua’s really appealed to me because they refused to adjust to the Bowdoin culture. It was a bar for the people of Brunswick. I really respected that,” McKee wrote. “Contrary to some other places in town, they were there to cater to normal people, even if that didn’t jibe with what Bowdoin students look for.”

Amber Allisot, server and bartender at Joshua’s, fondly remembers the tavern and the sense of community she felt with other staff members. An employee of five years, she has many memories of building relationships with regulars and “encountering ghosts” after closing.

“I would describe [Joshua’s] as my second family,” Allisot said. “I know that sounds corny, but honestly, I’ve met so many amazing people while working there, whether it be my bosses or coworkers that became best friends or regulars—we all became one big family.”

While Joshua’s is closing next Saturday, there is potential for it to reopen under new management when the lease expires in November.

The Siatras found a family with restaurant experience they may transfer ownership to,  but the future of Joshua’s is still unclear.

“We hope that they can come to an agreement on a future lease so that Joshua’s can continue,” Siatras said.

Staff members, Brunswick community members and Bowdoin students alike have experienced the impact of Joshua’s on the community.

“Everyone keeps saying it’s the end of an era, but it really, truly is, and I’m so thankful that I got to be a part of it,” Allisot said. “Winnie the Pooh said it best: ‘How lucky am I to have something so special that makes saying goodbye so hard.’”