BSG approves restructured election timeline, discusses future projects

Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) met on Wednesday to discuss updated BSG elections timelines, a new “Bowdoin Belonging” survey and two new upcoming projects from the Student Activities Funding Committee (SAFC) and the Facilities and Sustainability Committee.

BSG voted in favor of a change to its election timeline, allowing candidates who lose elections for presidential positions to still apply for a position within BSG. Voting for all elections will now take place over the course of a single week; the positions that require applications will then be filled the following week. Previously, applications to appointed positions were released before elections were held. The revision was passed along with four “special advisor” roles created to be available to juniors who are going abroad and cannot commit to a position for the entirety of the academic year.

The Bowdoin Belonging survey—also known as the Social Census—was sent out to students on February 18 to gauge how they feel about their experiences at Bowdoin. The survey aims to gather representative data to help evaluate the student experience.

The Facilities and Sustainability Committee is developing a bike share program. This program hopes to function similarly to Citi Bikes in New York City. The project would either work in conjunction with or encompass the Yellow Bike Club. This initiative would allow students without a bike to rent or borrow a bike for a brief amount of time and then return it to one of the bike stations set around campus.

The SAFC wants to provide more insights to and work closer with affinity groups to show what resources the SAFC has to offer and how to access them. The initiative is mainly focused on outreach and helping clubs make fixed budgets for the year.