Exercise your right to vote

This piece represents the opinion of the author s.
Kyra Tan

These have been incredibly difficult years, unsettled by the ongoing pandemic and increasing political polarization. You may feel like voting is too much work, useless, or not worth the trouble, and we get that.

You have a right to be jaded.

Regardless of how you feel, the winners of this election will represent you anyway.

The Governor, Judge, Sheriff, District Attorney and others elected will make decisions about the roads you drive on, the parks you visit and the air you breathe. They will shape the laws enforced in your community. When you choose not to vote, you are letting others decide who gets to make decisions on your behalf.

No vote, no voice.

It matters to show up.

This midterm election will be a close one and there is no understating the importance of your vote. The past few years have seen some pretty close elections and Gen Z voters have been a huge force. In the 2020 election, we had a 50 percent turnout—the highest youth voter turnout since the voting age was lowered to 18!

Our votes have and continue to be critical to election outcomes. In fact, according to the Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts University, the youth vote may be decisive in Maine’s Governor Race. Your vote matters.

Voting is a privilege that has been and is still being fought for. It is an act of care for yourself and your community, and it is the first step in participating in our civic duty.

See you at the polls.

Your lovingly persistent Bowdoin Votes Team,

Samira Iqbal and Lucas Johnson

Samira Iqbal is a member of the Class of 2023 and Lucas Johnson is a member of the Class of 2022.