BSG unveils plans for the year ahead

Editor’s note 10/03/2022 at 2:42 p.m. EDT: A previous version of this article mistakenly reported that Gharib included prescription drugs as a potential offering through Health Services. The article has been updated to reflect that this was not the case. 

On Wednesday, the Bowdoin Student Government (BSG) held its first meeting of the year with the newly-elected class officials in the Lantern in the Roux Center for the Environment. During the meeting, BSG President Susu Gharib ’23 outlined her initial goals for the year and welcomed new members to the group.

Of the many goals BSG members proposed for the upcoming school year, one of its top priorities is to host a social event that encourages students from disparate teams and groups across campus to connect. Initially, the group planned to host a campus-wide club and sport mixer across all of the College Houses to help remedy the athlete-non-athlete divide. Now, the event is tentatively planned to be hosted in one college house—Baxter House—and will be open to the whole campus.

Another goal Gharib discussed is BSG’s intent to increase medication offerings at the Health Center’s “self-service” station. This collaboration with Health Services would include some form of the Plan-B contraceptive, as well as various over-the-counter allergy medications.

Hoping to increase students’ access to off-campus locations, the BSG also plans to bring back the defunct shuttle service that once offered transportation to Portland’s Old Port, as well as to the nearby Target and Walmart locations, for a fee of $5. Additionally, the group agreed to continue to fund Polarflix, a free streaming service exclusively available to Bowdoin accounts on campus.