BSG candidate statements

Kyra Tan

Cheng Xing ’23

Hello hello, I am Cheng Xing, and I am running for the position of the President of the Class of 2023. Having served as the Treasurer of our class and on the board of the Student Activities Funding Committee, I have learned several important principles regarding student leadership roles and communication on the behalf of the student body. My position last year motivated me to serve more for the class and has given me the skills I need to succeed as the class president. I don’t simply wish to have the title as the Class President. Rather, I want to be your voice, your representative and your friend.

Zach Carlson ’26

My name is Zach Carlson, and I am running for President of the Class of 2026. If you don’t know me, I work for the football team, play intramural soccer (Bayonets United is the best IM soccer team ever) and am constantly complaining about having class at 8 a.m. three days per week. As President of the Bowdoin College Class of 2026, I would work tirelessly to improve the lives of my fellow first-year students and all other Bowdoin students, faculty and staff. Whether through organizing events at the class or entire school level, representing the wants and needs of the Class of 2026 in Bowdoin Student Government meetings or any other opportunities I get, I will do my best to boost school spirit, get students all the resources and activities possible and represent every member of the Class of 2026.

Chase Lenk ’26 

Hello Class of 2026! It’s our first year of college and the start of four years of opportunities. We are a class of uniquely talented individuals with limitless potential. But, if we build strong bonds, together we are even greater than the sum of our parts. That is what a great class council can do—unify the class through common experience with great events and opportunities.

I intend to provide inclusive and accessible events that will bring all kinds of people in the Class of 2026 together. Coming out of our isolated Covid-19 years, our class is distinctly poised to take full advantage of campus resources and build a community that will serve us for four years. And most importantly, as your president, I would aspire to be your voice in the Bowdoin Student Government—your tool just a step away that can promptly translate your concerns into action.

Maxwell Payne ’26

Hello Bowdoin Class of 2026, My name is Maxwell Payne, and I would like your vote for class president because I can help you achieve what you want at this school, big or small. I want to be someone you feel comfortable reaching out to for help no matter the issue; the most important and rewarding aspect of this position for me would be listening. My job would be to do what’s best for the class and do what the class wants, because the job of any representative is to represent their constituents. To work in the best interest of all 511 of us, I leave you with this message: win or lose, I will tirelessly fight for my fellow students and try to give every single person the college experience and education they deserve. I hope I get the opportunity to represent you as your class president.

Anyi Sun ’26

To the amazing Class of 2026, if you haven’t met me yet, my name is Anyi, and I’m running for the position of Vice President. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you why I hope you’ll vote for me and why I am a great candidate for this position. My senior year, I was elected Vice President and loved every second of it. Being able to advocate for my class, approve clubs and run fundraisers felt incredibly meaningful and I really hope to share my passion with Bowdoin. Throughout the past four years, I’ve worked with clubs and congress to raise over twenty thousand dollars for non-profits and student-run events. Understanding the role of vice president, I am confident that my experience and passion will help to represent our class well and manage the clubs and organizations that make Bowdoin special.

Emma Butterfield ’26

My name is Emma Butterfield, and I am running for the position of Vice President for our Class. Prior to college I have held numerous positions in different clubs and organizations, which have provided me with the opportunities to lead groups ranging from within my hometown to being responsible for regions within New England. Throughout these experiences I have enhanced my ability to be accountable, to communicate effectively and the confidence to speak on behalf of others. I believe that these skills would be valuable as a Vice President because amongst other duties, the VP helps with the Student Organization Oversight Committee (SOOC) ensuring a “vibrant student experience at Bowdoin” by helping to guide newly established clubs and to improve existing clubs each year. I will be fully invested in the Bowdoin Student Government with the highest intention of advocating for the student body. I hope you will consider voting for me as the Vice President for the 2022-2023 term.

Abigail Martin ’26 

Hello, my name is Abigail Martin, and I’m running for the Class of 2026 Council Programming Director. Throughout high school, I was heavily involved in club program planning. For example, I organized a drive-in movie fundraiser for the THRIVE LGBTQ+ Youth Center in Texas and took part in the planning of numerous leadership workshops for over 9,000 FFA students. As Programming Director, I hope to complete the following:

1. Ensure that individuals of all backgrounds and talents have an opportunity to attend events that pique their interests. I will diversify the events, whether that includes a wide-variety of musicians, speakers or class events.

2. Create polls, surveys, and email questionnaires to determine the interests of the student body and relay this to the E-Board.

3. Ensure that first year class interests and opinions are heard when planning events such as Ivies Day. I will be a strong voice for the Class of 2026!

Kaya Patel ’26

Hello Class of 2026! For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Kaya Patel, and I’m thrilled to be running for Class Programming Director. As Programming Director, I would serve on the Entertainment Board and the Class Council to bring lots of exciting events to campus, including the annual spring music festival known as Ivies! However, beyond my official duties, I would use my position to hear your thoughts, ideas and concerns and fight for the changes and events you would like to see. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed in the chaos of the first semester, and for this reason, I hope to introduce more first-year bonding events such as campfire cookouts and food truck nights with live music, First-Year Brick Olympics and open meetings designed specifically to hear your feedback and ideas for the council. So, in summary, for passion, empathy and dedication, vote Kaya!

These statements were provided by BSG President Susu Gharib ’23 to the Orient for publication. All statements are the intellectual property of the person indicated above. Kaya Patel is a member of the Bowdoin Orient.

More from Opinion: