Highlight Reel for May 13

GO AHEAD AND JUMP

The men’s and women’s track teams put forth impressive performances last weekend in the New England Division III Championship at Williams College. The women’s team ranked fifth of 33 teams, and the men’s team placed 11th out of 31 teams thanks to standout individual efforts from Lydia Pitts ’22, Serena Jonas ’22 and Cheng Xing ’23. Pitts took first place in the triple jump by clearing 12.34m, and Xing cleared a season-best of 7.31m to secure first place in the long jump. Jonas won the heptathlon by conquering the 100m hurdles, high jump and setting a new personal record in the 200m dash. Some Polar Bears will travel to Bryant University this weekend to participate in the Open New England Championships.

TAKE A BOW

On Tuesday night, the athletic department hosted its annual All Sports Awards Ceremony. The event was held in person for the first time in two years. The awards, voted upon by a selection committee consisting of coaching and athletic staff, were presented to athletes at Pickard Theater. Abby Bashaw ’23 of women’s field hockey and Graham Rutledge ’22 of men’s hockey took home the awards for outstanding leadership. Charlotte Hodge ’25 of women’s track and field and Ella Riccio ’25 of women’s swimming and diving were voted the most outstanding first-year (newcomer) female athletes, and Alex Grand’Pierre ’25 of men’s swimming and diving and CJ Brito-Trinidad ’23 of men’s baseball were voted the most outstanding first-year (newcoming) male athletes. Men’s lacrosse player Donal Mullane ’21 and women’s volleyball player Cori Gray ’22 earned awards for most outstanding male and female athletes overall. Additional awards focused on leadership, community service and individual efforts were also celebrated.

STICKING IT TO THE NESCAC

Last week, women’s lacrosse players Fiona Bundy ’22 and Sophia Sudano ’24 earned All-NESCAC Honors for their efforts this season. Bundy received a First Team All-NESCAC selection and Sudano was selected for the Second All-NESCAC Team. Bundy ranked third in the conference with 63 points in 16 games. In her first season as a Polar Bear, Sudano ranked first in the conference with 3.38 goals per game average and finished fourth in points per game. The team’s 9-7 season ended with a loss to Colby in the NESCAC Quarterfinals.